All Gauge 1 Five Plank Wagon models from Northern Fine Scale are side door loading.
Five plank wagons were the ubiquitous bulk haulers of the railway
system. Frequently held by private owners, their (often colourful)
livery gave a lively appearance to every goods train.
BAC was formed in 1936 as the result of a merger between the Bestwood
Coal & Iron Company, and the Babbington Coal Company of Nottingham.
Also known, at one time, as British Anthracite Collieries, their wagons would have been seen in five and seven plank form throughout the country.
They sported a variety of liveries catered for by OneBits with both red and green shaded lettering included in each decal package.
The Bovey Pottery Company from near Newton Abbott had contracts to
supply the Royal Navy, as well as a thriving export business for their
Bovey Potteries were surrounded by an abundance of high quality clay that was also used by the Staffordshire potteries.
Their wagons could no doubt have been seen throughout the country delivering not only their wares, but also clay, and carrying coal from the South Wales coalfields as well as from more northern collieries rather than returning empty from those regions.
Frank Butt and Sons were London coal merchants from Kensington and as
such served both domestic and commercial accounts.
The Kensington area had a wide variety of large residences, blocks of flats, and department stores whose coal demands would have been substantial.
Their wagons would have been seen in trains between West London and South Wales as well as the North.
Haunchwood Colliery opened for business in 1881. It was located just
west of Nuneaton on the Midland Railway (later LMS).
A fleet of several-hundred wagons carried coal to customers throughout the Midlands, and south to London and the Home Counties. They employed a variety of 5, 7, 8 plank and (latterly) steel wagons, painted in colours ranging from brown through red, grey, and blue to black.
It is fair to say that the wagons would be seen on the rails of each of the Big Four companies.
Tarslag (1923) Ltd was the result of a merger involving Hull tar
distillers Mayer and Company to manufacture the new ''Tarmacadam'' that
in post WW I years was finding an enormous market with the rapid
increase of heavier road vehicles.
Slag obtained from the enormous slag mounds in steel producing areas was combine with coal tar to produce a durable and weatherproof road surfacing material.
Tarslag had a large fleet of wagons which would normally be seen, marshalled in multiples, in trains that travelled widely throughout the LMS, LNER and GWR systems.